Post by Kenzi
A few posts back I gave you the rundown on the difference between professional products and drugstore products. I hinted a bit as to why we use Aveda here at Sin 7, but I wanted to do a post on the history of the brand and tell you exactly why we deem Aveda quality enough to use on you, our treasured guests!
Founded in Minneapolis in 1978 by hair stylist Horst Rechelbacher, Aveda would not exist without the influence of an ancient Indian tradition called Ayurveda. Translating from sanskrit as the “science of life,” Ayurveda is a holistic system of healing that focuses on creating balance between mind, body and spirit. During a trip to India in 1970, Rechelbacher first encountered the system, thus inspiring his vision for his company. In its first year, Aveda Corporation partnered with two Ayurvedic experts (Drs. Vinod and Kusum Upadhyay), fusing the brand with 1000s of years of proven results: that interconnectedness, and treating the person as a whole, brings balance and harmony to our lives.
The heart of Aveda lies in its connection to nature. Horst saw the lack of unity between the beauty industry and environmental sustainability and made it his mission to join the two. Here are some of Aveda’s commitments to environmental responsibility and the innovative ways they promote these beliefs:
- First beauty company to use 100% windpowered production facilities
- Complete traceability of certified organic ingredients, from the raw source to the finished products
- Shampoo bottles made with a minimum of 80% post-consumer recycled content
- 18 million US dollars raised for environmental and social causes to date through Aveda’s Earth Month campaigns
- No animal testing
- Ethically sourced and naturally derived ingredients for all products
- Relationships with indigenous communities and farmers worldwide to ensure sustainable agriculture is at the roots of every bottle
- Provides jobs for indigenous communities and farmers who otherwise would not have these opportunities
In 1997, Horst sold Aveda to Estee Lauder where it has continued to evolve and grow into the award-winning powerhouse it is today. The Aveda network spans nearly 8000 salons and spas worldwide, including (of course) us!
Right now we are in Aveda Earth Month 2014. For the month of April, we, as well as the rest of the network, are raising funds for the Global Greengrants Fund and WaterCan to support clean water initiatives in developing countries. One of the company’s biggest contributions to environmental causes, Earth Month changed the lives of over 23,640 people in Eastern Africa in 2013 alone.
As a part of the fundraiser, we are selling the official Earth Month ‘Light the Way” candles ($14, a spicy and soothing blend of ginger and ginger lily), as well as raffling off a gift basket valued at $250 ($5 a ballot). All proceeds from these sales go directly to the cause. Ask any of our staff for more details and be sure to drop your name in the draw at the front desk the next time you visit! You can also donate online at www.iwalkforwater.ca. Just scroll down, click “Donate & Support”and search our team name (Sin 7 Hair Salon).